Monday, January 12, 2009

Birthdays and Vegetables

What, you might well ask, do these things have in common?
Absolutely nothing but that is what this post is about...

But first - a layout. I finally scrapped DS's first day at school using the October kit from SBO.

Next DD's 2nd birthday on the 7th. I made her a Very Hungry Caterpillar cake because that is her favourite story right now. Funnily enough, it was DD's fav story too and he got a 'pillar cake for his 2nd birthday. We just had a quiet celebration for her. Nan and Pop came for dinner, and some cousins came for dessert. She liked the cake but didn't know what to do with the candles. Fortunately big brother did!



Now for the garden bit! We (actually DH) dug up the potatoes. We got a pretty good crop with some decent sized ones in there. These are Jersey Bennes.

These are mostly Red Desiree. There were more of these but I'd already stowed them in the potato bin.

I had some modest success with my Borlotti beans this year, but I doubt I'll get enough to make a decent stew with. Still, they are so beautiful. My courgette/zuchini is also beautiful but not very prolific. Neither is my cucumber - I'm wondering if it is the lack of bees around.

Just for Jenny. The fig tree is looking good for jam this year. Hope the silver eyes leave me some ;-)

Here is my garden as of December. The potatoes on the right are now gone and I've put in some perpetual spinach. The pumpkin on the left is now enormous and I will share a comparative photo once I down load it off the camera.


The plums are ripening so I imagine plum jam is on the project list for the coming weekend. Yum!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:04 pm

    gosh your garden is huge compared to mine! I must have had all the bees over at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:04 pm

    Your garden is amazing - I am jealous!

    I hope Lydia enjoyed her birthday. The cake is super cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday DD!
    I actually thought about her on her birthday as it's in my calendar but I was too rushed to email.
    That first cake photo is surreal, it looks like you're using dry ice for effect

    Beautiful garden Penny, as always.
    I been eating borlotti beans (tinned) in a salad with chick peas, butter beans, cannellini beans, and kidney beans with just chopped tomato, basil, feta, olive oil and lemon juice. Too bland for Luke's taste but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome cake and the veges look yum! We have a yellow courgette too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, Happy Birthday, Lydia! Penny, she is just gorgeous, and what a funky idea for a cake.

    Wow, your garden is going great guns! All the hard work is now paying off.

    Ours has done well this year too. Although, we came back from hols to find that half of our courgettes has turned to marrows and some other stuff had gone to seed. LOL, our house and farm sitter was great at watering, just not at checking the stage of growth the veges were at for picking.

    Beautiful layouts too, Penny.

    Oh, and, those beans are amazing looking. Have never seen them before. Must try them sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous cake! Your garden puts my few vege plants to shame, but at least we have made a little start!
    I'd like to scrap with the beans...LOL

    ReplyDelete